Monday, February 21, 2011

O is for Oatmeal


I've never been the biggest fan of oatmeal as a breakfast food. 
I attribute it to a few things, the texture (I grew up on Malt-o-Meal so all the bumps & lumps of the oats never worked for me), what to accompany it with & the hassle of making it. 
Up until recently I thought oatmeal was only good for oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies (yummy!) & making the topping for a fruit crumble (double yummy!!). 
And then my nutritionist told me to I should try to stay away from wheat since both the little man & I have a sensitivity to it (and she delicately mentioned it wouldn't hurt my looks either to eat less carbs - hehehe.) 
So I gave it another try and I discovered two things: 
1) 
Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take too long to make. Honestly washing the pot is more bothersome then standing at the stove for 1 minute stirring continuously. 
2) 
The perfect accompaniment to oatmeal is a dollop of fruit preserve.  

I'm trying to start each day with a warm bowl of oatmeal with my favorite jam on top. 

Btw - one of my favorite brands of jam is Hero's. It's delish!!
PS - while writing this I got a huge craving for oatmeal cookies so I pulled out the butter to soften and will be baking up a batch shortly. I'll fill you in on the results :) 

5 comments:

  1. add dried cherries and a frozen scoop of cool whip (that way it doesn't get all runny in your hot oatmeal) it tastes like you're eating ICE CREAM for breakfast.. it is SOOOO YUMMY.. and i really hate eating anything that's remotely healthy hahaha. i'm not suppose to be eating anything "white" either :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to add some chocolate chips in there too. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back blogging! Been missing you! Hope you had a great vacay! I love oatmeal with nuts, honey and flaxseed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorites as well!!! I love cherry jam!

    http://stilettosanddiaperbags.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make oatmeal with more stuff in it than oatmeal...but great idea on the jam!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being here! I enjoy reading & responding to every comment!

Pin It button on image hover